A new era of Android powered cameras has started and the devices in this category are bridging the gap between smartphones and cameras. Consumers who were once opting for slrs and dslrs are looking to move on to the bandwagon of Android cameras that support applications similar to smartphones.
With the addition of Android OS in the camera technology has brought a few necessary features to the point-and-shoot cameras allowing users to download mobile apps from the Google Play store and share images over cellular networks by tethering to a nearby smartphone or tablet.
Consequently, take a look at the two Android cameras that are available at present and their features.
Nikon coolpix s800c
Back in August, Nikon announced its Android based coolpix S800c camera and now this device has landed in the Indian market. Priced at Rs. 20,950 the camera seems more affordable than the expected price of the Samsung Galaxy Camera which has much better specifications.
The Nikon coolpix S800c features a 16 megapixel sensor with an f/2.3 aperture. It has a NIKKON lens with a 25mm to 250mm focal range and 10x optical zoom. This device runs Android 2.3 Gingerbread and Nikon has introduced companion apps for ios and Android smartphones. The camera has a 3.5-inch display, 4GB of built-in storage and the connectivity options include Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
It prime competitor would be the Samsung Galaxy Camera which is expected to launch in the market in time for Diwali. This camera runs Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, has a 4.8-inch S-LCD display with a 720p resolution and is powered by a quad-core Exynos processor clocked at 1.4ghz. This device is expected to be priced around Rs. 40,000 which is as expensive as an entry-level DSLR camera.
Samsung Galaxy Camera
Being the world’s largest smartphone manufacturer, Samsung seems to be hungry for more titles as it as unveiled Galaxy Camera with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OS. In India, Samsung Galaxy Camera will reportedly hit the retail shelves in mid-November.
When it comes to specs, the camera houses a 4.8 inch HD Super Clear LCD touchscreen display of 1280 x 720 pixel resolution, 1.4ghz processor, 16MP camera with 21x optical zoom, 8GB internal memory, micro SD card supporting up to 32GB expandable memory, 3G and Wi-Fi connectivity features and a 1,650 Li-ion battery.
- With Android Jelly bean OS users can now swipe from the camera viewfinder to quickly review photos one has taken without having to leave the camera app. One can swipe back to the camera viewfinder to start snapping photos again.
- When viewing a Gallery, users can pinch to zoom out to enter “filmstrip mode” and rapidly review photos. When viewing photos in filmstrip mode, one can swipe up or down to delete an individual photo. You can also undo the delete with a single tap.
- When taking a photo, a new animation sweeps your photo off the screen. There is now a new paging animation when swiping between photos.
- Camera features a new animation for switching between the front-facing and back cameras.
- When focusing on an object in Camera, a new animation gives you visual feedback on your focus state.
- Further, the camera also comes packed with a Long optical zoom, massive screen and 3G connectivity.